We all hear about how good exercise is. It not only takes care of you physically but socially and emotionally. But how can we find the time to exercise when we’re so busy? The good news is you do not have to join a gym to get a good work out. You just have to get your body moving and raise your heart rate.
Here are some fun and simple ways to fit in exercise into your daily routine in order to improve your mood. Of course make sure you’re healthy enough to do some of these.
- While watching TV, hold a plank for 30 seconds.
- Since you’re already on the floor, do 10 push-ups.
- Try to always take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Go on YouTube and look for a workout routine that’s less than 10 minutes, then follow along.
- Stretch your body as soon as you wake up and before going to bed.
- Follow a Yoga Video.
- Go for a 20 minute walk in your neighborhood.
- If it’s too cold or your neighborhood is not good for walking, walk around the mall. (Don’t shop, just walk around the mall as if you were running late)
- Park far away on purpose.
- Play. Tennis, racket ball, basketball, baseball, swimming, wii fit, xbox Kinect games, etc.
- Download a pedometer app on your phone to keep track of how many steps you take a day. Try to go for 3500 steps a day. Fitbit does this already.
- Play in the snow. Have a snow ball fight.
- Lift Dumbbells. No Dumbbells? Lift cans of beans or half gallon of milk.
- Rough house with kids and/or partner.
Try to do at least 2 of these suggestions every day. Have fun with it and you’re more likely to do them.
About the Author.
Liza J Alvarado is a professional counselor in private practice. She serves Adolescents, adults and Spanish speaking families in the Lehigh Valley, PA.