Do you find yourself running around all day, trying to multi task and feeling like you’re doing fifty things at once? Only to notice that you’re not really getting much done. And worse, feeling drained at the end of the day.
American culture praises hard work and busyness. But the truth is we have it all backwards.
There is a difference between being busy and being productive. Everyone is busy, even insects. What you want is to be productive. And in order to do that, you have to slow down.
You might be thinking ” I don’t have time to slow down” Well, if you don’t slow down, life will force you to by getting sick, injured or some life event where you have no choice but to slow down. But don’t wait for something bad to happen to slow you down. Follow these tips daily to stop stressing yourself and get more done.
- Ask yourself “what’s the most important thing I need to do right now?” Asking yourself this question helps you prioritize things.
- Schedule the things you need to do or at least write them down somewhere. But don’t create a To-Do list with 30 things on it. Instead, focus on what needs to be done that day. I like to create a list for the things that have to get done that day and things that need to get done that week.
- Stop and breath for a few seconds to lower stress hormones and be able to think more clearly.
- Learn to say no
- Figure out what time of day you have the most energy. We all have a limit to how long we can focus. For some people, they can focus the most in the mornings. For some people it’s at night. Notice what time of day you tend to get more things done. If you’re more of a morning person, by the end of the day, you’re not going to have the motivation or energy to go workout or do work. Try to get things done at the time of day that works best for you.
- Practice self-care. If you don’t take care of yourself, you start to feel overwhelmed. And when you feel overwhelmed you start to procrastinate and getting nothing done.
How do you stay focused in order to get more done?
About the author.
Liza J Alvarado is a Licensed Professional Counselor in private practice. She serves Adolescents, Adults, and the Spanish speaking individuals in the Lehigh Valley, PA area.