Fun and Interesting Psychology Facts
Knowing random facts, although sometimes useless, nonetheless are interesting. Here are some facts about psychology that may explain some of your own behaviors, or that of the people you live with.
- We are an average of the people we spend the most time with. Spend time with positive people, and you’ll become more positive. Spend time around negative people, and you’ll become more negative.
- It’s possible to die from a broken heart. It’s called Stress Cardiomyopathy.
- We can’t always trust what we think we see. Test yourself by watching this video.
- We can only remember 3-4 (plus or minus 2) things at the same time. Example, we remember a phone number as xxx-xxxx instead of xxxxxxx.
- Your favorite song is most likely associated with an emotional event.
- When you remember something, you’re actually remembering the last time you remembered it, rather than the event itself.
- 18-33-year-olds are the most stressed out people.
- People become happier the more money they make. Until they reach $75,000 a year. After that their happiness stays about the same.
- Money does not change people. It just makes them more of what they already are.
- Spending money on experiences rather than objects makes you happier.
- Research shows that it’s better to compliment people on their actions/character instead of labeling it. For example, instead of telling a kid “you’re so smart, good job”, say “wow you worked really hard on that project, good job”
- Music could change your attitude and outlook on things.
- Meditation and prayer can lower stress.
- There’s a phobia of loosing your cell phone. It’s called Nomophobia.
About the author.
Liza J Alvarado is a professional counselor in private practice. She serves adolescents, adults, and Spanish speaking families in Lehigh Valley, PA.